Saturday, May 05, 2007

Working the room

A number of my clients are in town for a conference. Over the past few days I, along with my coworkers, did a workshop/user group session at the conference, met one-on-one with several clients and prospects, and hosted a happy hour for about 60 people.

At the happy hour I felt like a political candidate, going from one group to the next and shaking hands and introducing myself. I even made the classic blunder of introducing myself to one woman twice. (It was dark in there, okay?)

What I learned from this experience:
  1. Free drinks and chicken-on-a-stick are an effective way to close a sale, not to mention enjoyable for all concerned.
  2. Do not expect the software programmers to mingle with your clients. They are there for the free drinks and chicken-on-a-stick.
  3. Always bring tape, band-aids, and wet-wipes. You never know. (How did I get plum sauce on the back of my suit? When I tried to get out of the car later, I discovered that I was stuck to the seat.)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, These are good points for your book!

    d

    ReplyDelete